Subject: Re: fsctl(2) [was: Re: Interface to change NFS exports]
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/16/2005 17:00:13
On 9/16/05, Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com> wrote:
> so what was the original question again, just where to put the NFS export
> control stuff?
>=20
> the NFS export control info is not really controlling the file system bei=
ng
> exported, but rather it's controlling the behaviour of the NFS server.
> the NFS server is somewhat unique, it's not a device and it's not a
> file system, so none of the interfaces for talking to devices or files
> or file systems really seems appropriate.  perhaps creating a /dev/nfsd
> psuedo-device and using ioctls on that would be the cleanest way to wedge
> it into the existing API model.  on the other hand, we already have an
> "nfssvc" syscall, so we can add other NFS server control stuff there.

Thanks for the long explanation.  I wasn't aware of this nfssvc system call=
,
but I'll certainly look at it.  It sounds more reasonable to add the export
control there than in a new system call, and possibly make it conditional o=
NFSSERVER; I like the idea.

> I'm with jason on wanting the mountargs stuff to become string-based.

That too, but it's a completely different thing than what I'm working on no=
w ;-)

Kind regards,

--=20
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>