Subject: Re: fsctl(2) [was: Re: Interface to change NFS exports]
To: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/2005 19:35:32
On Sep 12, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Gordon Waidhofer wrote:

> Interfaces like statvfs() can report results more precisely
> than file system globals. For example, f_bavail and f_favail can
> be derived to reflect quotas -- it says how much is actually
> available to the calling uid.

Oh dear, that turns into a rats nest rather quickly.  The trick is
dealing with group quotas.  What if your uid has no quota, but your
primary gid (or any of your secondary supplemental groups) has one?
What are the correct semantics?  I think the most common usage model
for quotas is to set a quota for a group (say "students") and ensure
that the containing directories that those users will write files in
always have the appropriate group ownership.

-- thorpej