Subject: Importing tmpfs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/09/2005 19:07:04
Hi all,

[ I'm CC'ing my SoC project mentor ]

The tmpfs developed during the Summer of Code program is now
usable, somewhat resource-friendly (improved a lot in the past
few days) but still has some bugs and misfeatures.  The most
important ones:
- Does not use anonymous memory for file meta-data.
- Some random panics caused due to incorrect memory accesses.
  I *suspect* these are related in some way to the usage of wired
  kernel memory and exhausting it, so fixing the previous item properly
  may also fix this one.
- NFS support is broken.

The thing is that many people (mostly developers) is asking me
when it will be integrated into NetBSD's main source tree.  The
advantages of importing it now:
- It is easier for people to test it.  Just enable it in the kernel and
  voila!
- It is easier for other developers to contribute, if they want to.
- The current sources have a lot of CVS history attached to them,
  all of which will be lost during the import.  Importing it sooner
  means we will loose less history.  (With "import" I'm referring to
  cvs-adding files.)

The disadvantages... well, as long as it stays disabled by default,
there are no disadvantages, I think.  But if people use it on purpose,
they can expect problems.  (The manual pages warn them about
experimental code ;)

Note that all the files are licensed under the official TNF license.

So what do you people think?  Can/should it be incorporated now
or should it wait?  Until which point?

Thanks,

--=20
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>