Subject: Re: RFC change bounds_check_with_label() implementations
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, port-atari-maintainer@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/07/2005 23:00:52
On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 07:14:54PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> a) all archs have a MD function apart from amd64, i386, xen, ibmnws who use
>    kern/subr_disk_mbr.c

I wrote the MI kern/subr_disk_mbr.c with a view to it being a basis
for a common routine, however nothing has really been changed to use it.

> Does this mean that archs that do have a MD bounds_check_with_label never
> have MBR support/access to f.e. msdosfs formatted USB keys? Is this
> relevant or will msdosfs work fine without an MBR?

msdosfs will work, but you have to jump through hoops to get a disklabel
into the kernel.
With a few minor modifications kern/subr_disk_mbr.c would do the job
for more of the architectures.

One problem is that you can't tell the size of the netbsd disklabel
(8 or 16 partitions) because the 'number of partitions' field is set
to a useless value.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk