Subject: Re: UFS ACLs and Extended attributes
To: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2005 17:19:38
On Sep 6, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Gordon Waidhofer wrote:

> Explain the linkage of NFSv4 to "both". An attempt to vindicate
> Euclid from every flaw proved non-Euclidian geometry. Prove me
> wrong -- it just might convince you.

A file system that fundamentally only supports subfiles could tell
the VFS layer "I don't support extattrs" by any number of
mechanisms.  The VFS layer could then simulate extattrs using
specially-named subfiles.  This is not all that different from how
extattrs are currently "supported" on UFS1 file systems (I will admit
that the code that does this is a work-in-progress that needs to be
greatly improved upon -- but it's a start!)

-- thorpej