Subject: Re: Is there any way to tell if the current thread has a user context?
To: Alan Ritter <ritter.alan@gmail.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2005 20:01:36
On 2005-09-06 ritter.alan@gmail.com wrote:

> Right now I'm just focusing on getting a driver that is stable on a single
> processor system (I want to get it tested and working on a multiprocessor
> system eventually).  Anyway I may be wrong, but I was thinking that
> simplelock's only make a difference when there's more than one processor
> that can run at a time.

  Yes, that is true.  The spl changes are what is needed for single
processor machines.  However, you will need simple locks in exactly the
places you need spl changes, so it makes sense to add them together.  A
combined macro is generally used for this.  There was an effort to combine
the two (the newlock branch), but this has been idle for years.

  If you don't want to do the locking, then remove the locking calls
entirely.  It doesn't make sense to do partial locking.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com