Subject: Re: UFS ACLs and Extended attributes
To: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2005 20:59:06
Gordon Waidhofer wrote:

> Similarly, keep an eye on how NFSv4 Named Attributes pair
> with EXTATTRs. Solaris, NetApp, and NT are linking NFSv4
> Named Attributes to what amounts to be subfiles. Linux and
> BSD EXTATTRs are really not a match.

What are these ``BSD EXTATTRs'' you speak of? All *I* am
familiar with are extended attributes that allow you
to store variable length byte strings associated to name
tags along with a file.

Extended attributes are not ACLs. They can store ACLs, they
can store information that can be called ``subfile''. I think
you are confusing two terms, and falsely using too much
capitalization in one of them...

> I believe it is probably too late to take POSIX ACLs seriously.

Did anyone ever took them seriously?

-e.

--
Elad Efrat