Subject: RE: UFS ACLs and Extended attributes
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2005 10:17:02
Please be sure to keep an eye on the NFSv4 ACL model.
It is greatly influenced by NT ACLs. I'm sure the Mac OS X
folks have a story for mapping between NFSv4 and MAC ACLs.
There are many papers on mapping between POSIX and NFSv4 ACLs
but it is generally considered to be awkward and inexact.

Similarly, keep an eye on how NFSv4 Named Attributes pair
with EXTATTRs. Solaris, NetApp, and NT are linking NFSv4
Named Attributes to what amounts to be subfiles. Linux and
BSD EXTATTRs are really not a match.

I believe it is probably too late to take POSIX ACLs seriously.
Yes, they can be done. Yes, there is some deployment. But to do
POSIX ACLs on NetBSD just means that NetBSD is signing up to do
ACLs twice. EXTATTRs should also be contemplated in an NFSv4
context and, I believe, found to be a bad idea. There is not
enough momentum around BSD/Linux EXTATTRs to worry about compatability.

See here for more details and references:
	http://www.nasconf.com/pres04/waidhofer.pdf

Regards,
	-gww