Subject: Re: Using overlay+chroot for emul (Was Re: printing with acroread7 and cups)
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/03/2005 14:52:31
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:53:21AM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	_currently_ it's not a chroot, but it sure acts an awful lot like one.
> If the /emul path stuff was implemented w/o all the wrapper syscalls that
> just have CHECK_ALT_*, the easiest way to do it would be with a chroot.
> If you just mount an overlay on / it's going to affect _all_ processes,
> not just emul'd ones, so you need to mount it elsewhere and make that
> be the root for emul'd processes.

I may be misunderstanding this but it sounds here a lot like you may
break how things work at the moment.  Currently with the emul
framework I can reference a file in my home directory which is outside
the /emul tree as an argument to a linux binary and it will just work:

arcoread /home/user/blymn/something.pdf

will open a pdf document in my home directory.  Are you intending this
not to work in your new proposed scheme?

--
Brett Lymn