Subject: Ideas for 2nd Fefe benchmarks?
To: None <tech-perform@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/01/2005 18:04:03
Reading Fefe's (german language) weblog[1] he writes:

   ``I'm working on new benchmarks similar to my old ones[2], but I want to
   measure more this time. I have taken about 30GB of image data from a
   customer's webserver, and logged about 50.000 web requests, and wanted
   to replay them as fast as possibl. To measure the filesystem I want to
   keep 10% of the 30GB images seperately, and then use tar to unpack and
   measure. But the tests so far are very negative for BSD (10 minutes
   unpacking on Linux with ext3 against 26 minutes under FreeBSD 6 with
   UFS2. I'm therefore looking for benchmark ideas in this category (so not
   "install postgres and shove in the following selects"), which are
   friendly to BSD and unfriendly to Linux. There has to be something?!
   Please mail your hints to me!''

Given the last round of benchmarks and they improvements that were made to
NetBSD after them, this sounds very interesting. Ideas? What is it that
NetBSD can do better than Linux (and FreeBSD :-).

  - Hubert

[1] http://blog.fefe.de/?ts=bde80e9c
[2] http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/