Subject: Re: printing with acroread7 and cups
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/31/2005 05:58:06
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I recently converted several machines to use CUPS.  On one of them,
> which is running 3.0beta, I had to create a link to /usr/pkg/bin/lpr
> from /emul/linux/usr/bin/lpr in order to print from acroread7.  On
> other machines, running 2.0.2 and -current -- releases that presumably
> straddle 3.0beta -- I did not have to do that.  What's going on?

It probably found /usr/bin/lpr before /usr/pkg/bin/lpr, and didn't use
CUPS. Now the Linux Binary first looks in /emul/linux/usr/bin/lpr, finds
your link and is happy.

The problem is that you have two lpr binaries, and the wrong one is found
first - I guess this is more a pkgsrc problem than a kernel problem.
A workaround is to have /usr/pkg/bin before /usr/bin in $PATH.

  - Hubert