Subject: Re: privacy [was: Re: kern.showallprocs implementation]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/31/2005 13:44:48
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > 	solaris10% auths  | tr , '\012' | sort
>
> [ ... ]
>
> proc_info
>  	Allows a process to examine the status of processes other
>  	than those it can send signals to.  Processes which cannot
>  	be examined cannot be seen in /proc and appear not to exist.

This raises a few interesting points that I haven't seen mentioned
before in this thread:

I wonder if this means that the correct behavior for
"kill(<other-users-process-id>, sig)" with this knob disabled is to
return ESRCH or EPERM?

Also, procfs obviously needs to be aware of any of these new controls
as well as the sysctl helper functions.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/