Subject: Re: kern.showallprocs implementation
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/30/2005 18:33:31
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:18:17AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

>    Bottom line is that these features are not any ``BSD security model''
>    that was discussed; it's a collection of commonly requested features
>    as implemented in FreeBSD. I see no reason to keep any compatibility.
>

> i think more importantly these are arguments that keeping
> compatibility is bad.  the `bsd' subnode is confusing and
> for this reason we shouldn't use it.

I strongly agree.  I do not think that FreeBSD provides, in general, a
sufficiently good example of sysctl naming nor of security design nor
functionality that we should hesitate to go our own way in either regard.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky