Subject: Re: kern.showallprocs implementation
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/29/2005 10:43:18

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 05:42:00PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Elad Efrat wrote:
> Last, a question: do I understand it correctly that those two sysctl knob=
> allow/disallow retrieving process stats sysctls (e.g. for ps(1)) and=20
> network stats sysvtls (e.g. for netstats(1)) for all/only the owner (and=
> root) of a process?
> How about not showing processes e.g. outside a chroot, like we already do=
> for mountpooints?
> Mayve this whole "privacy" thing should be discussed through first...=20
> ("design"?)

Can we please not?

This thread started with Geert asking if we could commit a patch that was
brough up over a year ago. The patch implements something we have talked=20
about for MANY years; I think I remember hearing about this back when I=20
was at NAS, which was 1999.

If we wait for an ideal design, we will be waiting a while longer.=20
Hopefully not a year or two, but definitely longer. We will get something=
better, but we will wait.

I personally would rather we implement either Rui or Elad's=20
implementations for now and then replace them when we decide what better=20
solution we want. 1) we make further progress. We are incrimentally better=
now and will be more so in the future. 2) We gain operational experience.=
We find out what folks REALLY need.

Take care,