Subject: Re: kern.showallprocs implementation
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/27/2005 00:07:54
Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> Users may accept that it works differently in future 4.0 than it would in 3.0.

I already discussed this with Rui. If you insist on having this feature
for NetBSD 3.0, then either implement a ``kern.privacy'' node and add
something like ``kern.privacy.proc'', or I'll do it myself, but *please*
don't use something like ``kern.showallprocs''.

All it takes is two sysctl_createv() calls for the node and ``proc''
knob, and writing a routine (``privacy_proc()''?) to determine if proc1
can ``look'' at proc2. Then you call that function instead of the ``if''
block the posted patch suggests.

That way you achieve what you want, you don't bound yourself to
something that will be removed in the future, and you can easily extend
it to other parts of the system (hint: netstat can do privacy too, and
there's user demand).

-e.

--
Elad Efrat