Subject: Re: kern.showallprocs implementation
To: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/26/2005 13:48:50
--RDS4xtyBfx+7DiaI

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 06:03:37PM +0300, Elad Efrat wrote:
> Rui Paulo wrote:
>=20
> > What we really want is a security framework much more fine grained than
> > this simple sysctl. But anyway, since a lot of people are asking for it
> > I can cleanup my 1-year old incomplete code and commit it.

Riu, please do the cleanup, but run the changes by tech-kern and
tech-security for a review first.

> Please don't. I'll work on something similar and more broad in the very
> near future.

Elad, please be VERY careful with comments like this. I've seen comments
like this come by in the past, something happen to the developer intending
to work on X (something gets in the way of the work), and so "very near
future" turns into years, with no improvement to NetBSD in the mean time.

"I think these changes will be a mistake" is a good reason to not make a=20
change. "I want something better," when we don't have code for "better,"=20
doesn't seem like a good reason.

Elad, would this change HURT the "broader" change you have in mind? If=20
not, let's add this for now and then when you have code, we can review it=
=20
and let it replace this change.

Take care,

Bill