Subject: Re: SoC: HFS+
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/26/2005 03:15:45
--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:54:40AM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> I've set up a list of documentation (short for now) in my project space,
> http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/tmpfs/ about file systems;
> it may be useful to you too.
>
> Fortunately, for HFS+, you could do something like another developer
> (Reinoud) is doing to implement UFS support: write a user-land
> implementation first (easier to play with) and then integrate it into
> the kernel; see his comments in my blog:
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/36085.html

Note that i've started my kernel implementation though its still in it's
embrionic stages due to copyin/copyout issues in scsipi (see thread).

The userland implementation is still so-so but i at least now understand a
whole lot more of the special problems introduced with writing CD's and
DVD's and though a new round of userland implementation could be done and
would be very learning i figured that having to `emulate' so much of a
kernel's IO system i could also just try to get something to work
in-kernel.

An better option for your beta implementation of HFS+ could be an `NFS
server' emulation approach like `rumba' did... pitty i didn't followed that
road for then at least something from kernelspace could write CD and DVD.

regards,
Reinoud

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A--