Subject: Re: SATA on VIA VT8237
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2005 16:27:50
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 08:41:03PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> I have 2 disks plugged into a VT8237, and there is some sort of
> RAID0/1 configury in the controller's BIOS. I set them to mirror,
> yet I see both disks individually under NetBSD. I had a look with
> windoze 98, and there they appear as a single mirrored disk.

That sounds like you have what we call 'ataraid'.  The BIOS has a
defined (I won't say "well-defined") idea of how the blocks are
laid out on the disk in one or more RAID formats.  So you can share
OSes and boot from a RAID0 or RAID1 configured on the system.

The VIA version of that isn't yet supported in NetBSD.  I recently
ported support for the Adaptec version found on an Intel 6300ESB
motherboard here.  FreeBSD has support for several--I think VIA
was one of them there.

With ataraid enabled and ld* at ataraid? in your kernel config,
you'd see wd0, wd1, and ld0 show up.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.NetBSD.org/