Subject: Re: Playing with dkwedge
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/22/2005 16:51:49
--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 03:35:52PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 08:35:20PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> >=20
> > On Aug 21, 2005, at 4:39 PM, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> >=20
> > >Looking at this made me realise one 'problem' to be avoided in future
> > >work on wedges if they're named like this: presented with an fstab
> > >listing filesystems on /dev/dk* like this, fsck will try to check
> > >multiple partitions of the same physical volume in parallel
> > >competition with eachother.
> >=20
> > A journaled file system makes this a non-issue :-)
>=20
> I'd still like to see a fsck -n run in the daily script on journaled file
> system. Usefull to detect corruption (the daily fsck -n has already point=
ed
> me hardware problems before they became too bad).

I think a better solution to this is to run a background scrubber script.=
=20
All you need to do is read data, you don't need to calculate bitmaps &=20
such. And it'd also be good to read raw data areas, not just metadata=20
areas.

Such a tool would help with the reliability of RAID 5 systems and keep a=20
disk failure from turning into a fatal double error (finding a bad block=20
when one disk is down).

Take care,

Bill

--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY