Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/kern
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/22/2005 22:13:39
der Mouse wrote:

> that really safe, is the list order not used by anything?  (Well,
>aside from the primary gid being special, but presumably the primary
>gid would be exempt from the sorting, and possibly the de-duping,
>anyway.)
>
>Access checking doesn't care about order, I think.  But is there, for
>example, code that depends on getgroups() returning a list identical to
>the one passed to setgroups()?

If there is such code, I'd say it's poorly written. SUS writes, in the
RATIONALE section:

"Various implementation variations and administrative sequences cause
the set of groups appearing in the result of /getgroups/() to vary in
order and as to whether the effective group ID is included, even when
the set of groups is the same (in the mathematical sense of "set")."

- Frank