Subject: Re: Playing with dkwedge
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/22/2005 09:58:26
--zkS4nBu7xsy2hAaK

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 01:47:15AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> >Looking at this made me realise one 'problem' to be avoided in future
> >work on wedges if they're named like this: presented with an fstab
> >listing filesystems on /dev/dk* like this, fsck will try to check
> >multiple partitions of the same physical volume in parallel
> >competition with eachother.
>=20
> Isn't that what the last column of fstab is good for sorting out?

Unless it was changed recently, that only pays attention to 0,1,n;
listing something at 5 won't make it run later than something at 2 or
3.  The above might be a motivation for 'fixing' that behaviour, but
something smarter would be nice.

There was some discussion about a general interface to query wedge
parentage, having fsck build up a dependency tree back to physical
devices would be a great use for this information, especially if it
was supported by other stacking logical block drivers (raid, cgd, etc)
so that fsck could see through them to physical spindles.

--
Dan.

--zkS4nBu7xsy2hAaK

--zkS4nBu7xsy2hAaK--