Subject: Re: Incorrect vattr passed to VOP_SYMLINK?
To: None <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/15/2005 07:52:25
> while writing tmpfs' symlink vnode operation, I discovered that the
> vattr argument it receives does not have a correct type set in it.
> Other operations, such as the creation of files, directories, pipes
> and devices have the corresponding type in vap->va_type.
>
> I think the symlink operation should be consistent with all others
> because this seems an unintended ommission.
>
> Does anybody mind if I commit the patch shown below?  (This will
> let me kill a workaround for this issue in tmpfs ;)

i don't think that va_type is used by anyone in this case.
it's normal for VOPs to use only parts of given vattr.
i think it's better to have some explicit bitmasks in vattr
to designate which members are valid, and
document which members are required by each VOPs.

btw, don't forget nfsd if you go ahead.

YAMAMOTO Takashi