Subject: Re: FreeBSD's /dev on NetBSD
To: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/13/2005 15:40:33
On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:18:45PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Then when applications open "/dev/capi20", and the kernel finds out that this
> file does not exist, it should call a routine in my driver, and pass
> "capi20". When my routine recognizes this string, it makes a new device
> "/dev/capi20.000" and returns that to the application. When another
> application opens "/dev/capi20", "/dev/capi20.001" will be returned and so
> on. When the application closes this device, they will be recycled.

Cloning devices are supported on NetBSD - e.g. /dev/bpf or /dev/ptmx
are such cloning devices.  The nodes in /dev are not created indeed, but
actual nodes are rarely needed anyway.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-