Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/scsipi
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/13/2005 21:23:27
On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:38:59PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> can't you create sysctl nodes when attaching devices?

I have put them into st.c for the moment which should fix the compile
problem on non-scsipi machines.

> afaik, only disk-specific part of diskstats is its name.
> yes, you can just seek=0 for tapes.

Perhaps at the moment but what if we considered keeping stats for all
the partitions on a disk individually?  Solaris does this and I think
it would be a nice idea to implement for us - at the moment you can
only tell which _disk_ is busy, sometimes it can be very helpful to
know that /var is being thrashed by something...

> to me, "if (tape)" doesn't seem to be needed, at least for disk_unbusy().

True, but it would be for attach (or just have a different attach) due
to all the extra information associated with a disk attach.

> i have no strong opinion about s/disk/something/ renaming.

I think it would be misleading to keep the current naming, if these
are to be generic routine then they should have more generic names to
reflect that.

--
Brett Lymn