Subject: Re: making an existing feature optional (Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/07/2005 16:09:57
YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> > Recommit the changes and add a note to UPDATING file. Guide people to read
> > it before building the kernel. Haven't we been doing this for years? ;')
>
> if it's acceptable, i'm happy with it.

This still doesn't address the original problem that very close
to 100% of all existing custom kernel config files will need to
be changed.

Personally, I prefer Quentin's idea of adding "options VMSWAP"
to sys/conf/std (or some similar name), and then users can add
"no options VMSWAP" if they want to disable it.  We can do the
same with INET, and perhaps the rnd pseudo-device and other
"necessary" options and devices.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/