Subject: Re: making an existing feature optional (Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch)
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/2005 17:41:46

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 05:33:15PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> >I'd go for having the "allow overriding options" part, and then adding
> >"options VMSWAP" to the various std.${ARCH} files, or even better,
> >having them include a conf/std file which would contain
> >"options VMSWAP", and leave room for other stuff (like, say, INET).
> This sounds good to me - better than introducing additional semantics for=
> options (option, no option, now default option?!).
> Having sys/conf/std as central file where we put things that are needed b=
> every kernel may be a bit too generic - e.g. INSTALL config files may=20
> bloat up to basically disable a big set of things again on all ports.=20
> Maybe a std.INSTALL with all the necessary things and a std.GENERIC with=
> the rest? (I'm not sure)

That wasn't what I was implying.  conf/std would hold core
functionalities, which is exactly what swap support is:  something that
is optional, but wanted in all but very specific situations.

Say that we get another VM system in a way that the user can choose
between UVM and that other VM.  conf/std would be the place for "options

"options EXEC_ELF" is definitely a candidate for conf/std, too.

Quentin Garnier - -