Subject: Re: making an existing feature optional (Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch)
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/2005 17:33:15
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> I'd go for having the "allow overriding options" part, and then adding
> "options VMSWAP" to the various std.${ARCH} files, or even better,
> having them include a conf/std file which would contain
> "options VMSWAP", and leave room for other stuff (like, say, INET).

This sounds good to me - better than introducing additional semantics for
options (option, no option, now default option?!).

Having sys/conf/std as central file where we put things that are needed by
every kernel may be a bit too generic - e.g. INSTALL config files may
bloat up to basically disable a big set of things again on all ports.
Maybe a std.INSTALL with all the necessary things and a std.GENERIC with
the rest? (I'm not sure)

  - Hubert