Subject: Re: Roadmap to compressed vnd(4)
To: Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/31/2005 02:43:41
>> i see no reason for /usr/sbin/vnconfig to ever go away.  add a vndconfig

>The name is misleading. If we have a non-misleading (read: right) executable
>in the system, the misleading (read: wrong) one must go away sooner or later.

Why _must_ it go away, and _who_ says it is missleading?
vnconfig is the command i've used in many scripts for several years,
and now I find I was wrong all that time....

>The only reason to make up another inconsistent way (based on an inconsistent
>way..) is to make the migration (of scripts for example) easier.

Which is a big deal actually.  renaming things just for "correctness"
isn't necessarily a win.

>The idea of a warning message is good. I'd say "neccessary".

Again, why?  Reminds me of the silly warning that nslookup now
issues on some systems.

--sjg