Subject: Re: Detaching live sd devices
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/27/2005 15:03:32
--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:32:51PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:55:37AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> > Because to do this means we either have to continually mount and unmoun=
t=20
> > the volume or we risk having to deal with dirty file systems.
>=20
> I wonder whether amd could be abused to help with this, like: after a sma=
ll
> period of inactivity mount ro, and mount rw on first write access. I do
> recall that somebody mentioned that mount -u ro doesn't flush (all?) dirt=
y=20
> buffers, though.

The problem is that we don't really want to mount it ro, as that should=20
cause all sorts of errors for attempts to write to the fs. We want it to=20
be mounted "do something before writing".

A file system could do something like this on its own. And I think this=20
really should be hidden there.

Take care,

Bill

--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+