Subject: Re: Detaching live sd devices
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/26/2005 17:13:46
--cQXOx3fnlpmgJsTP

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:54:07PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org> writes:
>=20
> > > Learn from the Amiga. wall a message to reinsert volume YYY, then.
> > > 	-is
> >=20
> > That may work for USB sticks, but I'm interested in working with disks =
on=20
> > a SAN (iSCSI or Fibre Channel). Telling all users to "reinsert wwn=20
> > blahblah" isn't going to be too useful. :-(
>=20
> The Right Thing here would seem to be another instance of the
> "important messages from the kernel" notification
> device/socket/whatever (which has been proposed before at least for
> device attach/detach and network link status change). A desktop GUI or
> default in-kernel handler could present a "Reinsert media XXX"
> message, while a management tool for a SAN client would probably have
> some choice words for the operator, and perhaps some actions to take
> on the application...

While I think this could be good, I think that if we want to do this, we=20
need to:

1) do something before we call sddetach(). If we get to sddetach(), the=20
disk is dying and the buffers are lost.

2) Add multipath support. We need some way to identify sd's as other than=
=20
"sd2". So that if the sd gets plugged in somewhere else, it will still be=
=20
recognized. SCSI has support for this in the form of VPD identifiers. We=20
just don't use them.

Take care,

Bill

--cQXOx3fnlpmgJsTP