Subject: Re: logging rc.d output [Re: WSDISPLAY_SCROLLSUPPORT number of lines adjustment.]
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/26/2005 10:02:06
--Apple-Mail-2-197922013

On Jul 26, 2005, at 8:58 , Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:14:23PM -0400, Andreas Wrede wrote:
>
>> The attached patch for rc "fixes" that issue by logging rc script
>> output to a file on a tmpfs and the saving it to /var/log.
>>

> you assume that mfs support is available, that's not always the case.
> neither is 10MB of RAM.

Understood.  That's why I referred to it as a "fix" rather than a
fix. Nevertheless, I think something like this, or the solution in
Mike Volokhov bin/27393 is badly needed. I have a number of NetBSD
machines running stand-alone in remote locations, or as firewalls in
alien environments, where the serial console solution to the rc
logging problem is not feasible.

Now to tie this discussion back to the scroll support issue:  Is it
possible to connect rc's stdout/stderr back to the kernel's console
buffer?

--
     aew

--Apple-Mail-2-197922013