Subject: Re: no dev at attachment [was: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/config]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/25/2005 21:52:08
--7fXEoLLey27Fs/d6

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:40:21PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> >We can rewrite them, yes.
> >
> >I did it for my laptop's kernel and it's tedious without any tools to
> >help with the task.  We would still have to provide a lot of kernels
> >with all the disabled devices (and maintain them), but I guess that
> >might be easier to script that part now.  We'll see.
>=20
> I guess pkgsrc/sysutils/adjustkernel can be changed to not print lines=20
> already there, but just add an .include statement and the appropriate "no=
=20
> ..." statements.

Unfortunately, adjustkernel is obsolete.  It doesn't know about
attachments to attributes (i.e., audio* at audiobus?), and making it
know about that would require it to parse all the config machinery in
the kernel source tree.

config(1) already does the latter (duh), I think it should have a -r or
something option to build the config from the dmesg (or some kind of a
device tree exported in some way).

> We may need to introduce a new kernel config that really has everything i=
n=20
> then - ISTR some GENERIC configs are downdized towards being usable/able=
=20
> to fit into memory on some systems, and thus don't include everything.

Yes, that's the point.  It won't make kernel config files any more
readable, though.  Quite the contrary.

--=20

--7fXEoLLey27Fs/d6

--7fXEoLLey27Fs/d6--