Subject: Re: Detaching live sd devices
To: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/25/2005 20:13:24
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Lars Nordlund wrote:
> What happened if you inserted another floppy instead of the one you
> just removed? Did it destroy that floppy with the other floppy's dirty
> buffers?

No. Floppies have/had names attached somewhere which were checked, and
asked for "Insert volume 'Music:' back into any drive" or so. You could
also refer to drives (say) Music: and Data: and if you have them both in
two drives everything was fine, and if one was not inserted when needed,
it was asked for. Very nifty... :-)

> I have been thinking about something like this for NetBSD. If it is
> possible to store a checksum of the MBR(?) (or some other kind of
> identity of the mounted media) so the OS can safely flush dirty buffers
> later. If a media disappears the kernel would just write "reinsert media
> previously mounted at /memorystick now!" on all ttys.

uuidgen(1) etc.?
I think it's not used anywhere right now, probably when "wedges"
go and replace disklabels, but I have no idea what the plan is there.

  - Hubert