Subject: Re: Detaching live sd devices
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/25/2005 13:39:26
FWIW, you don't have to use the UI to safely unplug USB flash disks on
XP.  You can still do it, but the cache is write through on XP by default
for hot removable devices, not write back.  It's still mandatory (as in
"otherwise you may lose data") if you change settings to use write-back
cache.

I've heard that they got too many complaints from users regarding the
Win-2000 behavior, hence the change.

--Terry