Subject: Re: Detaching live sd devices
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/25/2005 13:26:24
In message <20050725171652.GA26608@kyyhky.embedtronics.fi>, Jukka Marin writes:
>On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:32:14AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> Why not just unmount the stick before disconnecting it?
>
>No modern operating system should have the user do things like this unless
>he/she has a specific reason for it.  The users don't even know what
>mounting a disk means.

Of course, DOS/Windows has gone the other way -- you never needed to
tell the OS anything when you removed a floppy drive, but you do need
to "stop" a USB disk or PCMCIA device before removal.  I believe the
same is true on MacOS.

In other words, maybe people shouldn't have to do it, but on most
modern systems they do; it's not a new concept except, perhaps, for the
word "unmount".