Subject: Re: Detaching live sd devices
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/24/2005 22:34:37
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Thoughts? I have a few, but I'd appreciate input.

I thought about removing USB sticks andy why one can ~safely pull them
after writing on Windows the other day, but I don't have the needed
kernel-know-how to describe an implementation. Anyways: right now it's
only safe to remove media (disk, stick ...) when the filesystem is
unmounted. On umount(2), all data is synced to disk first. So the "unsafe"
period is between mount and umount.

Now my idea is: why not make the "unsafe" period shorter, e.g. between
open and close, or maybe even before&after read/write/etc.?

I don't know if that makes sense and there are probably many details I
don't know, but that was the general idea...

  - Hubert