Subject: extreme slowness
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Zeljko Vrba <zvrba@globalnet.hr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/22/2005 12:14:25
--------------enigADE15C2818E37023721D356B

Last day my NetBSD 2.0.2 machine has gotten extremly slow. Pretty often
everything just stops. The top shows syncer/0 [ioflush] eating up ~2% of
CPU time. Nothing else is running, and while this is happening the load
average gets up to 1.50 on an unloaded machine. Accessing the filesystem
while ioflush is doing its job is impossible. iostat shows a disk
activity of about 1MB/sec.

This is a 2-processor machine with 3G of RAM and RAID disks.

At first I had blaimed it on the kernel NFS server (because it started
happening just when I have recompiled the kernel with NFS enabled and
exported some file systems). At first I guessed it had to do something
with NFS locking, so I removed the NFS server from the kernel
configuration and I recompiled cleanly (make clean; make dep; make).

It did not make things better. The problem still persists. I'm
dumbfounded what is happening. Just executing sync sometimes takes half
a minute or so to complete.