Subject: Re: netbsd32_mount: one possible solution
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/22/2005 09:28:16
--wHh0aNzodMFDTGdO

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:15:05AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > The other way I could find is much less intrusive, and simply burn a
> > MNT_* flag to do that task.  I'm attaching a proposed patch using that
> > method which allows netbsd32_mount() to work for mount_msdos(8).
>=20
> i object against mixing (more) operational flags in mnt_flag.
> see PR/29898.

Ok, I see your point.

What about using a mnt_iflag?  For that I'd only change the prototype of
mount1() to take an additional flag.

I can also add a field to struct mount for that purpose, too.  I don't
think there would be any side-effect other than having to bump the
kernel version.

What would be best?

> btw, is there any point to emulate this kind of syscalls? (just curious)

As Matt pointed out, it is necessary to use a 32-bits root with a 64-bits
kernel.

I think that point is especially important for amd64,  because it will
allow users to have access to very large amounts of memory without
changing anything to their userland, as there might be a lot of legacy
applications in the i386 land.  Of course we'll probably want a
compat_linux32 at some point, too.

--=20

--wHh0aNzodMFDTGdO

--wHh0aNzodMFDTGdO--