Subject: Re: lib/30664: realpath and magic symlinks
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/21/2005 14:40:52
--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:28:50PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On Jul 11, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Chuck Silvers wrote:
>=20
> >fs's having different settings for magic names being enabled.  well...
> >with NFS there's the same issue with different nodes having =20
> >different settings,
> >so I guess it's really unavoidable.  per-node seems like it would =20
> >probably
> >be less bad, though.

per-node can also be the reason for using the symlinks (or names). :-) You=
=20
can easily link your ~/bin directory to one that is architecture-specific,=
=20
for instance. While they can be confusing, I think they also can be very=20
useful.

> If we have consensus that we should just do this system-wide, then it =20
> is a trivial change to make and I will go ahead and do it (and add a =20
> sysctl knob for it).

Well, I've heard no objections to system-wide and a few "Ayes". So it=20
sounds good. (I also am behind on source-changes, so you may already have=
=20
done this :-)

Take care,

Bill