Subject: Re: Verifying a kernel.
To: Tonnerre <tonnerre@thundrix.ch>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2005 14:58:14
Tonnerre wrote:
> Salut,
>
>>The purpose Matt stated was essentially a read-verify.
>
> Did you think about people who might get the idea to use it for a different
> purpose?

If those people think they're any more secure using SHA${BIGNUM} than
with CRC32, they're sorely mistaken.

What makes you think it would be easier to construct a kernel which has
the same checksum than to simply alter the checksum? It is, after all,
stored in the same file.

I think it's entirely reasonable to allow any reasonable algorithm to be
specified. If this is likely to cause any confusion about its intended
purpose, write a sentence in the manpage stating that it does not
protect against tampering.

Anybody willing to rely on security features that are *clearly
documented* as providing no protection has bigger problems than kernel
tampering.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget