Subject: re: Roadmap to compressed vnd(4)
To: Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/2005 05:59:32
   On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 07:16:14PM +1000, matthew green wrote:

   > i see no reason for /usr/sbin/vnconfig to ever go away.  add a vndconfig

   The name is misleading. If we have a non-misleading (read: right) executable
   in the system, the misleading (read: wrong) one must go away sooner or later.

   The only reason to make up another inconsistent way (based on an inconsistent
   way..) is to make the migration (of scripts for example) easier.

this is no reason to delete an executable that has exited since basically
forever.  why force scripts to migrate?  what actual benefit is there?
i don't buy "misleading" as a reason.  the man pages has and will continue
to describe what "vnconfig" is.

there is significant precedence for keeping old names around.  also, some
of us will prefer to type "vnconfig" for ever because it's one less key
to press and it's hard wired in my brain as "vnconfig".

.mrg.