Subject: Re: suggestion: gallery of kernel configurations
To: Erik E.Fair <fair@NetBSD.org>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/15/2005 21:48:08
--Apple-Mail-1--710114899

On Jul 12, 2005, at 5:52 AM, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> I want to distinguish this from configurations that The NetBSD Project
> maintains (or doesn't maintain) in its source repository - those =20
> have (in some
> sense) a stronger guarantee of working, whereas what I am =20
> suggesting is,
> "here's one that worked for me at the time I posted it here."
>
> Comments?

I think it's a great idea.  Less so for the x86 systems which are MB+=20
[nearly unbounded combination of expansion boards.]  Though, with so =20
much being included in MBs today, even that's not so true anymore.  =20
The Athlon 64 MB I have has IDE, SATA, 2xGigE, audio, USB, Firewire.  =20=

The only board in it is the video board, which NetBSD doesn't get too =20=

specific about in the kernel configs.

However!  The number of laptops with funky ACPI settings to get the =20
audio to work, or the relatively small set of  Apple or Alpha or Sun =20
machines that could be in the library of Kernel configs... that would =20=

be really useful.

jf
--=20
John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org
ICBM: 38=BA 56' 32.6"N 77=BA 24' 47.7"W Z+62m

--Apple-Mail-1--710114899
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-1--710114899--