Subject: Re: Roadmap to compressed vnd(4)
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/15/2005 17:05:58
On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:31:08AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> >> i see no reason for /usr/sbin/vnconfig to ever go away.
> > The name is misleading.
>
> What is misleading about it?  What error does it confuse you, or
> others, into making?

The driver is called "vnd". Vnode Disk Driver. The configuration utility
is called "vnconfig". For what reason? Of course, Vnode Disk Config and
Vnode Disk Driver Config are essentially the same - but I always write
"vndconfig" - it is just natural to me.

> I don't see it as any more confusing than, say, ifconfig, or wiconfig -

Given the context from above, you cannot compare vn{d,config} to {if,wi}config.