Subject: Re: cd into file [was: Re: CVS commit: src]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/09/2005 23:00:01
--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 01:18:37PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>=20
> >Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >>It just strikes me as gross and weird that you probably would be able to
> >>cd into a file.
>=20
> Well, the structure of a directory in Unix isn't all that different from=
=20
> that of an (uncompressed) tar file. Would be nice if chdir/readdir/etc.=
=20
> would be more flexible. :)

I think a cleaner way to handle this is how a number of other OSs do it.=20
If you have a file that is also a container (an archive file), they can=20
mount said file. When I download image files on my MacOS X laptop, they=20
show up as other disks on the desktop.

I'm not against the idea of us mounting such a file system on top of the=20
container file. However that strikes me as a very different semantic from=
=20
cd'ing into a normal file. :-)

Take care,

Bill