Subject: Re: kern/25279: NFS read doesn't update atime
To: None <chuq@chuq.com>
From: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/09/2005 18:13:01
> the difference in our interpretation of these scenarios is the point in
> time that we are considering.  you seem to be thinking about a point in
> the middle of a stream of data changes and associated mtime updates,
> whereas I'm talking about a point after the stream of data changes and
> associated mtime updates is done and the file is unchanged for some time.
> it seems more useful to talk about the latter time frame, since it's the
> sequencing of the last data change and last mtime update that is most
> important (ie. the final mtime update should not be before the final
> data change).

i think you're missing the context.
because in the mail which i replied you suggested to update mtime in
VOP_GETPAGES instead of updating it when cache-flushing (ie. no mtime update
after data change), i said it can confuse nfs.

if mtime update after data change is ensured, i agree that
there is no problem.

YAMAMOTO Takashi