Subject: NetBSD binary compatibility for libraries
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/04/2005 19:49:31
Greetings!

Just wondering, how difficult provide binary compatibility for guest
libraries?

For example, we have a program "exe" which is linked against library
"lib.so", and NetBSD is binary compatible with "GuestOS". Let look
trough three cases:

1) exe - GuestOS executable, lib.so - GuestOS shared object. In this
case we have no problems running GuestOS software.

2a) exe - GuestOS executable, lib.so - NetBSD library.

2b) exe - NetBSD executable, lib.so - GuestOS library.

The 2a and 2b support is missing. But this is very interesting cases.
In case 2a we would no need extra GuestOS libraries wasting space, and
the 2b is just real solution for those who need to ran, say, Oracle OCI
powered applications on NetBSD.

I hope this should be not so big trouble to implement (take a look to
mplayer working with Win32 codecs).

Any opinions?

--
Mishka.