Subject: RE: CVS commit: src
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2005 17:15:59
It is possible for regular files to be
treated as both files and directories with
the directory part being subfiles.

	/foo/bar	regular file
	/foo/bar/@SPLAT@/subfile

but what about directories?

	/foo/@SPLAT@/subfile

There are probably answers to that question,
including "how unecessary" :).

I'll repeat myself. It's easy to get myopic about
this stuff. Sure, anybody can invent a namespace
trick (filesystem feature) to access subfiles.
Big whoop. Now, what about tar(1) and tar(5) and
NFSv4 and....... Does interoperability/interchange
still count?

Yes, there is already some divergence. Divergence
is bad. Convergence and interoperability are good.
At the very least, we should pick a method that
enjoys some measure of deployment and has answered
the interoperability/interchange questions and
follow it. It is not only unecessary to invent an
answer, it is likely counterproductive.

This isn't directed at der Mouse. Just this is the
Nth posting on "another way to do it." I had to
respond.

Regards,
	-gww