Subject: Re: Sumup Re: CVS commit: src
To: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2005 23:54:53
--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

Hiya Gordon,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 07:29:17PM -0700, Gordon Waidhofer wrote:
> The opensf() rename of openat() fell pretty flat
> with folks. When I found out that the "at" wasn't
> a shorthand for "attribute", but rather really meant
> "at this point in the name space", it made sense
> nobody wanted to change it. Attropen(3) is a wrapper
> around openat() and so should be considered
> the primary interface. There was some discussion
> on this list a few months ago to bring openat()
> and friends into NetBSD for reasons other than
> attributes/subfiles.

Ok, `at' for `relative' the openat() makes more sense yes :)

> All that said, I still *HATE* the name "attropen()"
> and would prefer "subfileopen()". But I HATE
> divergence even more.

I think we would do wise to try to convince Sun to change the name to
subfileopen() or the like. On their online manpage its still stated as
"Interface Stability Evolving" so they might still be able to be temped to
change it still and alias it for backwards compatibility.

Also the X_ATTR would do better of as O_SUBFILES.

We could form a petition where the core's of NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD and
maybe some Linux representatives could device one front and propose one
interface.

> I'm told that subfile support is high on the Samba
> teams wish list. Preview images (View Thumbnails)
> are an easy example of why.

Yeah... one of the better uses indeed.

Do you think we could make a standardised form acceptable? I could try to
work out a full specification if only for *BSD and Linux...

BTW, i see the specs on the Sun website are from Solaris 9 (aka SunOS 5.9)
from 2001(!) ... do they still evolve Solaris ? Are there newer specs?

Cheers,
Reinoud

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--