Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2005 14:39:00
--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 04:00:58PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:22:16AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >=20
> > Yes. Mainly as if we start listing all of the files + sub extensions th=
at=20
> > we can open, we can very quickly (in my opinion) lose ourselves in a me=
ssy=20
> > sea of file "names."
>=20
> 	That's a silly way of looking at it.  The sub extensions wouldn't be
> visible unless you explicitly asked for it.  i.e. getdirents() on /bin
> would return the normal listing of files without the special directory ..=
namedfork,
> but an opendir() on /bin/cat/..namedfork would work and you'd be able to =
do a
> getdirents on that.

I definitely agree doing that is silly. But that's how the explanation
came across. Thus my objection. :-)

> 	There are filesystems that do something very similar to this except
> with "foo@@" being the magic hidden directory for "foo".  From my experie=
nce
> with that it works pretty well (provided you don't have filenames that en=
d in @@)
> since most programs treat files as files, but if you explicitly use one of
> those special names the program accessing the contents doesn't have to
> know that anything is different from a normal directory hierarchy.

To be perfectly honest, I dislike the idea of the magic hidden directory.=
=20
Unfortunately, however, I don't think I'll win with the idea of folks=20
doing other stuff.

I dislike the fact that we will greatly increase the number of vnodes=20
associated with a file. Now we have a file or directory, the magic=20
attribute vnode for listing additional streams, and vnodes for the new=20
streams.

I don't mind so much the idea that you append a magic path to a file (or=20
directory) name to get its special info. In that case, you are just=20
opening a different file that is somehow related to the initial one.

It just strikes me as gross and weird that you probably would be able to
cd into a file.

Take care,

Bill

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua