Subject: Re: SoC: HFS+
To: Julio M.Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Yevgeny Binder <yevbee@comcast.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2005 04:15:13
On Jun 28, 2005, at 4:54 AM, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> Hi Yevgeny!
>
> On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 19:17 -0500, Yevgeny Binder wrote:
>
>> I'm glad to be joining the other Summer of Code participants and the
>> rest of the developers here in the efforts to improve NetBSD. My own
>> small contribution will hopefully be a full, robust, BSD-licensed
>> implementation of the HFS+ filesystem. I know I'm not the only Mac
>> user who wishes it was easier to access his Mac volumes on other
>> operating systems, so I'll be happy to see this working.
>>

> I'm glad you have been picked for this project.  Good luck with it!

Thanks! Good luck with yours! It looks like an important contribution.

> HFS support is certainly needed in NetBSD to improve the macppc port
> (at the very least to be able to get a complete installation, i.e.,
> including the boot code, without using external tools nor other OSes).

Agreed. I also hope this code runs on every NetBSD port, so that
users of any architecture can collaborate with their Mac-using peers
more easily.

> I've set up a list of documentation (short for now) in my project
> space,
> http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/tmpfs/ about file systems;
> it may be useful to you too.

Since our projects are both filesystems, I'll definitely be looking
into your references, and I encourage you to peruse mine (once I put
some up).

I have a feeling we're going to be sharing a fair bit of the same
problems and questions throughout our projects, so I'm looking
forward to sharing any insights as well!

> Fortunately, for HFS+, you could do something like another developer
> (Reinoud) is doing to implement UFS support: write a user-land
> implementation first (easier to play with) and then integrate it into
> the kernel; see his comments in my blog:
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/36085.html

I was actually considering this, but I wasn't sure if NetBSD allowed
userland filesystems. If it does, a dynamically loadable/unloadable
scheme similar to linux kernel modules would be terrific.

I read the comments in your blog, and it looks like there are three
people now all working on new filesystems for NetBSD. Could this be
the Year of the Filesystem? I'll have to check my Chinese calendar...

Take care,
Yevgeny